Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Fantastical Fairycakes

Fantastical=whimsical, full of fantasy
Fairycakes=British slang for cupcakes

I have an Equinox Potluck at work on Friday so last night I decided to bake some fairycakes.  My culinary skills are lacking to say the least so I attempted a basic white cupcake recipe from my 'Cupcake of the Day' calendar.  The results were quite delicious and pretty cute for the Season. 

Baking in my "I kiss better than I cook" apron


 Fashion moment- Dress-New Look, UK; Blazer-Old Navy; Shoes- Fergalicious by Fergie :)
























Cupcakes:
1 cup (2 sticks) sweet butter, softened
1 cup superfine sugar
2 cups self-rising flour
1 tsp. baking powder
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Frosting:
3 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 cup (2 sticks) sweet butter, softened
pinch of salt
food colouring
sprinkles/candy for decoration
(I also added water since the mixture was not moist)

-preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175C).  Place 18 paper baking cups in muffin pans.  Combine all the cupcake ingredients in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and pale, about 2 to 3 minutes.

-spoon the batter into the cups.  Bake for 20 minutes or until ready.  Remove pans from the oven and cool for 5 minutes.  Then remove the cupcakes and cool on a rack.

-to make the frosting, cream the icing sugar, butter and salt with an electric mixer until smotth.  Add a few drops   of   food colouring and mix well.  Spread the frosting liberally  onto the cooled cupcakes and decorate as you desire.
                                                                                                     
 -ENJOY! :) Makes 18 cupcakes

4 comments:

  1. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmy!

    -lizard

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute cupcakes : )
    it's awesome to find other ottawa blogs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute dress. Those cupcakes looks good too! :)

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I know how to make those fairycakes!

    P.s. I'd love for you to enter (or even blog about) this free give-away to the Ottawa Fashion Week!

    xox,

    ML

    http://twentyyork.blogspot.com/2010/10/save-dates-ottawa-fashion-week.html

    ReplyDelete

One of my daily joys is reading the lovely comments you leave. It may take a day or two (or three, depending on how hectic life gets!) but I will stop by your slice of the blogosphere soon! xo Emily