Friday, November 11, 2011

please remember us

 
we are,
the overpowering sound of guns & tanks
that cause everyone pain & suffering

we are,
the wilted, beautifully crimson poppies
in Flander's Field

we are, 
the serene doves
that shut out the malice,
the fighting below us

we are,
the blood stained land
that people stand on
taking the lives of others
yet trying to stay living

we are,
the foul, muddy trenches
with rats & insects
that carry awful diseases

we are,
the nurses & doctors
who care for the wounded soldiers & fighters

we are,
the loved ones
who sit at home
each day crying bitter tears
waiting, always waiting

we are,
the death & sadness
that war causes

we are,
the fighters & soldiers
who made November 11th
a day to remember


Please remember us.


{This is a poem I wrote years ago for my grade 9 English class and read aloud in front of the whole school at my Junior High School's Remembrance Day ceremony.  Remembrance Day is a very special day for me because my Grandfather fought in WWII (see last year's post) and my Dad works for Veteran's Affairs.  On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, lest we forget.}

Photo from weheartit.com

16 comments:

  1. This poem is so sweet and touching. My grandfather also fought in WWII and my great grandfather fought in WWI. Thank you for this!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful poem! You are a very talented writer. Thank you for posting this. I have several veterans in my life to celebrate today.

    Sincerely,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented. This is a very beautiful and touching poem. Thank you for sharing.

    Following you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a beautiful poem. And a great memorial. You're an amazing writer:)

    have a yummy Friday!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights
    enter my Too Faced and Hello Kitty Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one son in the Navy and one already out. Can I post your poem on my facebook page?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful poem you've written hun. I cant even begin to try and understand how important this day is for you (here in NZ we naturally do not celebrate it) but I hope it is a very sombering yet pleasant day for you ^_^

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful and touching poem, thanks for sharing.:D

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com
    Giveaway: Shabby Apple Da Vinci Dress

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny,
    As an English teacher, I can truly tell you that this is an amazing poem....and even more amazing penned by a 9th grade student. It comes from the heart and it has depth and breath....it has soul. It comes from someone who was raised in an environment of awareness. Your grateful heart will be felt by the souls of those who served.

    Lovingly,
    Joann in CO!!

    and WOW, your dad works in Veteran's Affairs....I've been on the phone with them a LOT lately!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely poem!
    hope you had a great weekend
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's a beautiful poem written by a mere 9 year old. Very poignant. You're so good with words. And your grand dad is awesome!

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow... what for a poem... amazing, it's really powerful. In the UK on Nov 11th there are lots of celebrations too... they wear poppy flowers (brooch) for weeks, as a symbol of respect...
    I was without internet for a week, and today I'll fly... I hate long flights, but what can I do...
    Well, just to say that I saw your previous outfit now and it's lovely!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are very talented...this poem is beautiful. Well done, darling. dawn suitcase vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful poem! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful remembrance! My uncle was in the airforce. This is a lovely tribute.
    http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

One of my daily joys is reading the lovely comments you leave. It may take a day or two (or three, depending on how hectic life gets!) but I will stop by your slice of the blogosphere soon! xo Emily