Wednesday, July 18, 2012

what's your shopping style?

Dress (worn like this)- Marshalls; Purse, Shoes & Bracelets- Thrifted; Ring- Zellers; Prescription eyeglasses- Gucci; Necklace- Consigned; Nail Polish- Fuschia Fever by Revlon
The other day I came across a stack of old magazines that had been collecting dust in my closet.  One of the articles from the November 2010 issue of In Style featured a reader poll about different shopping strategies that I thought would be fun to share (along with my colourful commentary!)

Your first stop in any store is...
64% said.. It varies.  I wander to whatever catches my eye.
22% said... The sales rack *that would be me!*
14% said... Newest arrivals.

Have you ever hidden a purchase from your significant other?
55% said... yes *oh definitely, I've even gone so far as to use the old "close your eyes, I don't want you to see your ____ (insert upcoming holiday here) present", to sneak the bags by!*

Do you ever shop online while at work?
54% said... yes *I will admit to being guilty on this account as well!*

If you could shop only online or in-store, which would you pick?
83% said... In-store *without a doubt, part of the shopping experience for me is trying on the clothes, feeling the fabric and the hustle and bustle of the store.  I have had negative experiences with online shopping but that's not to say I still don't do it (see my answer to the question above!)*
17% said... Online 

Gift cards are...
71% said... The perfect present.  I like being able to buy whatever I want.
29% said... So impersonal.  The best gifts always involve some thought *I guess I'm old fashioned but I love getting a meaningful and creative gift for and from my loved ones.  Gift cards are great for acquaintances& colleagues but not for those closest to you.*

How do you prefer to shop?
56% said... Alone *absolutely, I like being able to peruse the stores I want to shop at and not have to wait for a friend who is taking forever in the changing room.  That being said, group shopping can be fun occasionally but not on a regular basis (and definitely not when you're on a mission!)*
37% said... With a girlfriend.
7% said... With a significant other.

Do you dress up or down for a day of shopping?
62% said... Down.  Comfort is key.
38% said... Up.  I want the sales staff to notice me. *I'm a fancy pants, I even dress up to go to Home Depot!*

What's your fave thing about retail therapy?
48% said... The thrill of the hunt *that's why I love thrifting so much, to wade through the faded & outdated to find the sleek & chic!*
36% said... The zone-out factor.
16% said... Actually, I find shopping more stressful than therapeutic.
Are you in the majority with your answers? What's your shopping style? 
(P.S. If you're wondering who the grey & white furball is, it's Mama Sita, the shy counterpart to Mr. Marley!)

10 comments:

  1. Oh this was interesting to read! I shop in comfort, but not drabby. I also love shopping in-store over online. I've had too many experiences where I didn't like the fabric or fit of the item after I ordered it online.
    That purple dress of yours is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I didn't know so many people liked shopping alone.. thought I was weird!!

    I love that purple colour.. I almost bought a similar dress (in colour).. except it was super expensive!

    Style by Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, I love sales and I love thrifting. everything else is overpriced here in Estonia. sad but true. I have this one fave thrift store here in my hometown and only during this week I have already got the perfect maxi dress from that store and a brand-new children's blouse for myself because it looks great! :P but last weekend I went crazy on designer stuff since I visited our capital town and there were sales everywhere! what a trap!

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't mind mall shopping if it's not crowded. hahahaha i can't stand crowds. i can't think with lots of people around me. so i do most of mine online. thank goodness, i know my size really well. i don't blame you for shopping alone. i like to do the same. i love the purple dress you are wearing. Marshalls really has cute dresses! And you're right about gift cards, it really depends on the person. great post!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. emily, that was fun to take, & see your answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have hidden tons of new purchase by my hubby. I like gift card but sometimes I would like an actually gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so interesting, isn't it?! I would never buy anything if it wasn't on sale!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have very similar shopping habits! =) That purple dress is lovely on you, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful dress, Emily. Great color and design. And the facts you cite are interesting. I knew only a few of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That necklace is so, well, exciting comes to mind! You've given it the perfect showcase with the simple dress.

    I love the Gucci glasses.

    ReplyDelete

One of my daily joys is reading the lovely comments you leave. It may take a day or two (or three, depending on how hectic life gets!) but I will stop by your slice of the blogosphere soon! xo Emily