Tuesday, May 14, 2013

black & braids

Jacket- Clothing Swap; Pants, Belt, Blouse, Shoes & Necklace- Thrifted; Earrings- Aldo; Rings- H&M & Gifted; Nail Polish- Flirt by Revlon
As a colour addict, it's rare that I wear an all black ensemble.  However, when I do, I like to add interesting accessories (my favourite combination being gold & black) to transform the outfit from drab to fab.   Last fall I even completed a personal fashion challenge to wear all black, all week (look 1, 2, 3 & 4) but by the end of the week I couldn't get into my brights fast enough!
This past weekend I started watched Star Wars for the first time (my parents were Trekkies, what can I say!) and I love Queen Amidala's eccentric updos.  For a subdued, daytime work look I chose to wear two twisted braids.  When my man saw my hair he said "well don't you look dainty."  (dainty I can do, just call me china doll Emily!)

Do you prefer to wear brights or black?

10 comments:

  1. Really like the braids! I tend to wear more color these days. Although, sometimes it's nice to do all neutrals. Debbie @ ilovemylemonadelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great braids. And the outfit is chic. Black can be stylish if done with a little print, as you do here. It's visually interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get so comfortable in black. I'm trying to break out of it (especially for spring/summer). Love the cute dots in your top. Your braid is so cute! There are so many cute braided styles you can wear, because your hair is long. A cute up do would be nice too. Great look!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. your braids look super cute. I'm a bright kind of girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, I don't tend to wear much black and white by itself! I remember your challenge from the fall though, I should try it sometime.

    I do like this outfit, the top is fun with the polka dots! And your braids are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like braids very much! You look very elegant, I never saw you wearing only black - with some white! As for me, I love everything :) Brights and black... for some months I have been wearing more dark colors... but soon I'll start wearing bright ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The braids are so cute! I love 'em, China Doll Emily. ;)
    I much prefer colours. I usually need colour somewhere in my outfit, but I am not opposed to all black once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. both. it depends on my mood and free time in my hands and stuff like that. colours can give you energy and spark but at the same time black is classic and timeless, so both have their good sides.
    by the way, those braids are way too cute and I think you should definitely experiment with braids more often. oh and black & gold are always great together!

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the braids and that coat with the fabulous piping
    you know i am a color girl all the way
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a brights girl, the brighter the better. I'm also a Trekkie AND a Star Wars fan. I love the costumes and stories for both.

    ReplyDelete

One of my daily joys is reading the lovely comments you leave. It may take a day or two (or three, depending on how hectic life gets!) but I will stop by your slice of the blogosphere soon! xo Emily